Ebook I Did It to Save My Life: Love and Survival in Sierra Leone (California Series in Public Anthropology), by Catherine E. Bolten
When obtaining this e-book I Did It To Save My Life: Love And Survival In Sierra Leone (California Series In Public Anthropology), By Catherine E. Bolten as recommendation to check out, you could obtain not only motivation however additionally new understanding as well as sessions. It has even more compared to typical advantages to take. What type of book that you review it will serve for you? So, why should obtain this e-book entitled I Did It To Save My Life: Love And Survival In Sierra Leone (California Series In Public Anthropology), By Catherine E. Bolten in this article? As in link download, you could get guide I Did It To Save My Life: Love And Survival In Sierra Leone (California Series In Public Anthropology), By Catherine E. Bolten by on-line.
I Did It to Save My Life: Love and Survival in Sierra Leone (California Series in Public Anthropology), by Catherine E. Bolten
Ebook I Did It to Save My Life: Love and Survival in Sierra Leone (California Series in Public Anthropology), by Catherine E. Bolten
I Did It To Save My Life: Love And Survival In Sierra Leone (California Series In Public Anthropology), By Catherine E. Bolten Just how can you transform your mind to be much more open? There many sources that could assist you to boost your thoughts. It can be from the other experiences as well as story from some individuals. Reserve I Did It To Save My Life: Love And Survival In Sierra Leone (California Series In Public Anthropology), By Catherine E. Bolten is among the relied on resources to get. You could discover numerous books that we discuss right here in this site. And also now, we show you among the most effective, the I Did It To Save My Life: Love And Survival In Sierra Leone (California Series In Public Anthropology), By Catherine E. Bolten
When going to take the experience or ideas types others, publication I Did It To Save My Life: Love And Survival In Sierra Leone (California Series In Public Anthropology), By Catherine E. Bolten can be a great source. It holds true. You can read this I Did It To Save My Life: Love And Survival In Sierra Leone (California Series In Public Anthropology), By Catherine E. Bolten as the source that can be downloaded and install here. The way to download and install is additionally very easy. You could go to the web link web page that we provide and after that acquire guide making a deal. Download and install I Did It To Save My Life: Love And Survival In Sierra Leone (California Series In Public Anthropology), By Catherine E. Bolten and also you can put aside in your very own device.
Downloading guide I Did It To Save My Life: Love And Survival In Sierra Leone (California Series In Public Anthropology), By Catherine E. Bolten in this web site lists could make you much more advantages. It will show you the best book collections as well as finished compilations. So many books can be found in this site. So, this is not only this I Did It To Save My Life: Love And Survival In Sierra Leone (California Series In Public Anthropology), By Catherine E. Bolten Nonetheless, this book is referred to review considering that it is an inspiring book to make you a lot more chance to obtain encounters as well as thoughts. This is easy, review the soft file of guide I Did It To Save My Life: Love And Survival In Sierra Leone (California Series In Public Anthropology), By Catherine E. Bolten and you get it.
Your perception of this book I Did It To Save My Life: Love And Survival In Sierra Leone (California Series In Public Anthropology), By Catherine E. Bolten will lead you to obtain exactly what you specifically need. As one of the inspiring publications, this book will provide the presence of this leaded I Did It To Save My Life: Love And Survival In Sierra Leone (California Series In Public Anthropology), By Catherine E. Bolten to collect. Even it is juts soft file; it can be your collective data in gizmo as well as other gadget. The vital is that use this soft data book I Did It To Save My Life: Love And Survival In Sierra Leone (California Series In Public Anthropology), By Catherine E. Bolten to check out and take the perks. It is exactly what we imply as publication I Did It To Save My Life: Love And Survival In Sierra Leone (California Series In Public Anthropology), By Catherine E. Bolten will boost your thoughts and mind. After that, checking out publication will certainly likewise boost your life high quality much better by taking good action in balanced.
Utilizing narratives of seven different people--soldier, rebel, student, trader, evangelist, father, and politician--I Did it To Save My Life provides fresh insight into how ordinary Sierra Leoneans survived the war that devastated their country for a decade. Individuals in the town of Makeni narrate survival through the rubric of love, a deep, compassionate relationship based on material exchange and nurturing, that transcends romance and binds people together across space and through time, a significant departure from Western understandings of the concept. By telling their stories and bringing memory into the present, they create for themselves a powerful basis on which to reaffirm the rightness of their choices and orient themselves to a livable everyday. In situating their wartime lives firmly in this social world, they call into question the government's own narrative that Makeni residents openly collaborated with the rebel Revolutionary United Front during its three-year occupation of the town. Residents argue instead that it was the government's disloyalty to its people, rather than rebel invasion and occupation, which destroyed the town and forced uneasy co-existence between civilians and militants.
- Sales Rank: #779920 in Books
- Brand: Brand: University of California Press
- Published on: 2012-10-01
- Original language: English
- Number of items: 1
- Dimensions: 9.00" h x .75" w x 6.00" l, .85 pounds
- Binding: Paperback
- 296 pages
- Used Book in Good Condition
Review
"It's a profoundly touching book.... it won't leave you feeling like a thrill-seeking voyeur staring at a hopeless, far-away continent." Joanna Lewis, The Times Higher Education
"A remarkable book... the narratives may very well break your heart." Susan L. Erikson, American Ethnologist
"Bolten writes beautifully... as a record of the many ways life can be lived in a conflict zone, and the many ways people talk (or don't talk) about their experiences, I Did It to Save My Life is unusually powerful." Danny Hoffman, Kujenga Amani
"Bolten performs both the art and science of anthropology." Krijn Peters, Journal of Modern African Studies
"Bolten's ethnography is a wonderful addition to growing body of literature that examines social and emotional dimensions of political conflict... ground[ing] complex ideas about love, power, and war in the nitty-gritty of the everyday." Sophia Balakian, Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute
"By creating a tapestry of experiences, voices, and perspectives, Bolten provides a nuanced image of the seemingly banal steps people take in times of hardship." Annika Lems, Social Anthropology
From the Inside Flap
Ethnographically rich, these accounts come to life in beautiful prose. These are inspiring and at times heartbreaking stories of how people living in such difficult and dangerous circumstances find ways to survive, love and take care of each other. This will be a valuable contribution as well as a welcome counter to the more popular images of warzones as places of total immorality.”Catherine Besteman, author of Transforming Cape Town
About the Author
Catherine Bolten is Assistant Professor of Anthropology and Peace
Studies at the University of Notre Dame.
Most helpful customer reviews
1 of 1 people found the following review helpful.
A pleasant surprise
By Adam Strickland
I must admit that this was NOT exactly the book I thought it would be when I began reading. I was very excited to receive the book, and have actually been awaiting its publication for many years. The author is an expert on Sierra Leone, thus once I received the book, I immediately moved it to the top of my "must-read" pile. As I read the first 50 pages, it became clear that this was not going to be another retelling or analysis of the conflict in Sierra Leone - which was my expectation. Instead, the author provides an ethnographic analysis of seven individuals representative of larger communities or identities present during the conflict. While this methodology was new to me, thus took me a few pages to grow comfortable with; it was very effective/instuctive, and in the end left me very satisfied as the reader. As a product of the American public school system, I must admit that the concept of love in Sierra Leone was a difficult one for me to grasp; however, it is exactly the sort of variable national security professionals must understand prior to embarking on military operations or capacity building efforts in non-western countries. As a military professional and life-long student, this study reinforced the utility of operational culture studies in conflict analysis, operational art, and the development of post-conflict strategy transition strategies. This is not an "easy read" for someone unfamiliar with the methodology; however, it was a very pleasant read, and one that I easily completed on the round-trip of a routine flight. I highly recommend this book for any military or national security professional. This is a "must read" for anyone seeking a greater understanding of the conflict in Sierra Leone.
1 of 1 people found the following review helpful.
Rich Narratives and A New Perspective
By Sparx
Very engaging and very well-written.
"I Did It to Save My Life" by Catherine Bolten takes the Sierra Leone civil war and breaks down the event into seven different narratives, seven different perspectives of the same event. This was one of the most insightful books I have read on African culture during war. Mrs. Bolten introduces a common thesis throughout the book. She claims that amidst war, the very definition of love and "eating", the anti-love, takes on a materialistic meaning. Love is about survival. She supports that thesis with 7 stories ranging from a Sierra Leonean soldier, to a trader trying to making a living, to a father. Every narrative told shows a different aspect of war and a different way to view love during war. The way the stories are told, you can feel each character come alive within the book. You can feel each character's pain and their struggle to survive. And you can get an explanation of how these characters define love in the environment around them. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in the change of culture during a civil war, African culture, and to those looking for touching stories about survival in an environment most of us would call "Hell." This was a great read.
I Did It to Save My Life: Love and Survival in Sierra Leone (California Series in Public Anthropology), by Catherine E. Bolten PDF
I Did It to Save My Life: Love and Survival in Sierra Leone (California Series in Public Anthropology), by Catherine E. Bolten EPub
I Did It to Save My Life: Love and Survival in Sierra Leone (California Series in Public Anthropology), by Catherine E. Bolten Doc
I Did It to Save My Life: Love and Survival in Sierra Leone (California Series in Public Anthropology), by Catherine E. Bolten iBooks
I Did It to Save My Life: Love and Survival in Sierra Leone (California Series in Public Anthropology), by Catherine E. Bolten rtf
I Did It to Save My Life: Love and Survival in Sierra Leone (California Series in Public Anthropology), by Catherine E. Bolten Mobipocket
I Did It to Save My Life: Love and Survival in Sierra Leone (California Series in Public Anthropology), by Catherine E. Bolten Kindle
Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar