PDF Ebook The Modern World-System I: Capitalist Agriculture and the Origins of the European World-Economy in the Sixteenth Century, by Immanuel Wall
This book The Modern World-System I: Capitalist Agriculture And The Origins Of The European World-Economy In The Sixteenth Century, By Immanuel Wall offers you far better of life that could create the high quality of the life better. This The Modern World-System I: Capitalist Agriculture And The Origins Of The European World-Economy In The Sixteenth Century, By Immanuel Wall is just what individuals now require. You are below and also you may be specific and sure to get this publication The Modern World-System I: Capitalist Agriculture And The Origins Of The European World-Economy In The Sixteenth Century, By Immanuel Wall Never doubt to obtain it even this is merely a publication. You could get this book The Modern World-System I: Capitalist Agriculture And The Origins Of The European World-Economy In The Sixteenth Century, By Immanuel Wall as one of your compilations. Yet, not the collection to present in your shelfs. This is a valuable book to be reviewing collection.
The Modern World-System I: Capitalist Agriculture and the Origins of the European World-Economy in the Sixteenth Century, by Immanuel Wall
PDF Ebook The Modern World-System I: Capitalist Agriculture and the Origins of the European World-Economy in the Sixteenth Century, by Immanuel Wall
Suggestion in picking the very best book The Modern World-System I: Capitalist Agriculture And The Origins Of The European World-Economy In The Sixteenth Century, By Immanuel Wall to read this day can be gained by reading this resource. You could find the most effective book The Modern World-System I: Capitalist Agriculture And The Origins Of The European World-Economy In The Sixteenth Century, By Immanuel Wall that is sold in this world. Not just had guides released from this country, however also the other nations. As well as currently, we intend you to read The Modern World-System I: Capitalist Agriculture And The Origins Of The European World-Economy In The Sixteenth Century, By Immanuel Wall as one of the reading materials. This is just one of the best publications to collect in this website. Check out the resource as well as browse guides The Modern World-System I: Capitalist Agriculture And The Origins Of The European World-Economy In The Sixteenth Century, By Immanuel Wall You could discover bunches of titles of guides offered.
As known, many individuals claim that e-books are the vinyl windows for the world. It doesn't suggest that buying e-book The Modern World-System I: Capitalist Agriculture And The Origins Of The European World-Economy In The Sixteenth Century, By Immanuel Wall will suggest that you can purchase this world. Merely for joke! Checking out an e-book The Modern World-System I: Capitalist Agriculture And The Origins Of The European World-Economy In The Sixteenth Century, By Immanuel Wall will opened somebody to think better, to keep smile, to amuse themselves, and to encourage the understanding. Every publication likewise has their characteristic to affect the reader. Have you recognized why you read this The Modern World-System I: Capitalist Agriculture And The Origins Of The European World-Economy In The Sixteenth Century, By Immanuel Wall for?
Well, still confused of how you can obtain this publication The Modern World-System I: Capitalist Agriculture And The Origins Of The European World-Economy In The Sixteenth Century, By Immanuel Wall right here without going outside? Simply attach your computer or device to the web and also start downloading The Modern World-System I: Capitalist Agriculture And The Origins Of The European World-Economy In The Sixteenth Century, By Immanuel Wall Where? This page will reveal you the web link page to download The Modern World-System I: Capitalist Agriculture And The Origins Of The European World-Economy In The Sixteenth Century, By Immanuel Wall You never ever fret, your favourite publication will be sooner yours now. It will certainly be a lot easier to enjoy checking out The Modern World-System I: Capitalist Agriculture And The Origins Of The European World-Economy In The Sixteenth Century, By Immanuel Wall by on the internet or getting the soft documents on your device. It will certainly despite which you are as well as just what you are. This e-book The Modern World-System I: Capitalist Agriculture And The Origins Of The European World-Economy In The Sixteenth Century, By Immanuel Wall is written for public as well as you are among them who could delight in reading of this book The Modern World-System I: Capitalist Agriculture And The Origins Of The European World-Economy In The Sixteenth Century, By Immanuel Wall
Spending the leisure by reviewing The Modern World-System I: Capitalist Agriculture And The Origins Of The European World-Economy In The Sixteenth Century, By Immanuel Wall could offer such wonderful encounter even you are simply seating on your chair in the workplace or in your bed. It will not curse your time. This The Modern World-System I: Capitalist Agriculture And The Origins Of The European World-Economy In The Sixteenth Century, By Immanuel Wall will assist you to have even more priceless time while taking rest. It is extremely pleasurable when at the midday, with a cup of coffee or tea and also an e-book The Modern World-System I: Capitalist Agriculture And The Origins Of The European World-Economy In The Sixteenth Century, By Immanuel Wall in your kitchen appliance or computer system screen. By delighting in the sights around, right here you could begin reviewing.
Immanuel Wallerstein’s highly influential, multi-volume opus, The Modern World-System, is one of this century’s greatest works of social science. An innovative, panoramic reinterpretation of global history, it traces the emergence and development of the modern world from the sixteenth to the twentieth century.
- Sales Rank: #199047 in Books
- Published on: 2011-06-10
- Original language: English
- Number of items: 1
- Dimensions: 9.02" h x .98" w x 5.98" l, 1.30 pounds
- Binding: Paperback
- 440 pages
Review
"...one of the important books of the year....all are sure to agree that Wallerstein has written a most impressive book."
--THE NEW YORK TIMES BOOK REVIEW
"This is an exciting and highly intelligent book...Wallerstein has produced a splendid stimulant to our historical imagination, and deserves a wide readership."
--HISTORY
"[This] is a visionary work...this may be one of the most important theoretical statements about development since the time of Max Weber."
--CONTEMPORARY SOCIOLOGY
"...Wallerstein has provided what can only be called a major work of analytical and synthetic sociological history...Wallerstein's work is indispensable to those who wish to understand the background from which the contemporary world has emerged."
--POLITICAL SCIENCE QUARTERLY
From the Inside Flap
"I can say without hesitation that this is the finest book of analytic history that I have read in the past ten years. That Europe had formed a world-economy around herself historians knew. But only in general. What they had never thought about with the keenness and intelligence of I. Wallerstein's thought is that this entity provides a new framework for the subject of European history, that it is compelling, a new explanation, a new classification, indeed a revolutionary one, of received knowledge and current thought."
—Fernand Braudel, author of The Mediterranean and the Mediterranean World in the Age of Philip II
“It isn't just history or economics or sociology or political science. It is all of these in combination and thus places all of these fields on a new plane of understanding, It is a book that people will have to deal with, argue with, cite, learn by in order to make their own points....In sum, this is a most impressive work. I can hardly wait for the other volumes."
—Eric R. Wolf, author of Europe and the People without History
"A heroic and impressive achievement...an exhilarating and satisfying book....it explains more convincingly and sympathetically than anything I have read hitherto the actual process of economic and social development on a European-world scale."
—Joan Thirsk, American Journal of Sociology
"A tour de force that brings together and makes sense of a wealth of diverse historical studies which often seem to contradict each other...an extremely formidable achievement."
—Gertrud Lenzer, N.Y. Times Book Review
"A remarkable book. The author has a theory and uses it to explain the structure and course of public events in Europe and its trans-oceanic annexes in the sixteenth century. The effect is dazzling and dizzying."
—William McNeill, Societas
About the Author
Immanuel Wallerstein is Senior Research Scholar at Yale University and the former President of the International Sociological Association. He is the author of many books, including, most recently, World-Systems Analysis: An Introduction and European Universalism: The Rhetoric of Power.
Most helpful customer reviews
24 of 26 people found the following review helpful.
The manifesto of world system theory
By Suckwoo Lee
This book is the manifesto of world system theory. and that it was awarded by American association of sociology. Previously, the capitalism begin with the 1st industrial revolution. but Wallerstein questioned this common sense. he asserted it should be dated back to 16th century when Italian city-state prospered with Mediterrean trade. The book begins with how the feudalism fell and capitalism emerged. Volume 1 covers the shift of hegemoney in European world system from Italian city-states, Spain to Holland. The gist of his theorizing is the worldwide division of labor.
By the way, Overall points are easy to grasp. but the devils lies in the details. the book is flooded with bulks of long quotations. This distracts the attention of reader, so that lose the line of argument. Reading goes through between quotation to quotation. it even seems Wallerstein has no point of himself. I read twice to catch the logic of each chapter. but no avail. Dose Wallerstein has no ability to abbridge those quotations to his own word?
If you are interested in world system theory, I recommend to read Braudel's 'Civilization and Capitalism' instead. it's easy to follow and more systematic. and that much fun to read. Below I try to compare Braudel with Wallerstein
Power organizes the space. Organized space is the world where our perspective domiciles. There were always several worlds at the same time. For example, the premodern Chinese recognized other peoples than them. But they were outside their world. So they were barbarians who were much the same with beast. Only the one in the world which had meaning to them could be called human being. But now there is only one world on the globe. If we define it as the globalization, the history of capitalism is the process globalization over centuries since the 16th C. This is the grand image Braudel depicts before us in ¡®Civilization and Capitalism¡¯. If so, capitalism is not merely the system of exchange (or production), but the way to organize the world, in other word, the system of power. With no doubt, capitalism is the system of capitals. But capital is the power to control the flow of resources. Capital, in Marx¡¯s word, is the power to control the resources allocation in society. But the resource entails not only physical material but also human labor. No goods can be presented before us without human labor. Then trade of goods must reflect the relation of spaces where human beings dwell, whether it is done with coercion or contract. Trade could be carried out between the urban and the regional. The world Wallerstein depicts is the magnified image into global scale of such an order. The unit in that order is the nation-state. but in Braudel¡¯s image, The unit of space is not the state but the city. Capitalism is the network (or hierarchy) of cities, Braudel argues. Each has its own pros and cones. But these days Braudle¡¯s image has gained popularity over Wallerstein¡¯s, since Braudel¡¯s ¡®point-to-point¡¯ perspective fits better into the aspects of globalization. For instance, the global financial market could be better captured with Braudel¡¯s. It exists on the network of cities like New York, London, and Tokyo, not on the hierarchy of nation-states. According to Braudel, the capital and the state have its own interest and dynamic different from each other. In Wallerstein¡¯s framework, we can¡¯t spot such a distinction. But it¡¯s the point where we should begin to explain the current affair, globalization.
29 of 33 people found the following review helpful.
Solid!
By Mike Sobocinski
Despite having read and been impressed by other Wallerstein books, I was almost discouraged by some of the reviews that appeared here, talking about how "dry" this book is and how it is overfull of quotations and such. Ridiculous. I checked it out of a nearby research library and was quickly impressed enough to order a copy for myself at $60! The quotations are fascinating and readers should be impressed by the massive amount of material that Wallerstein has reviewed. Readers seeking an introductory work should look elsewhere. This is the first volume in a series of highly groundbreaking contributions to macrosociology. I personally find it much more illuminating that Wallerstein uses extensive footnoting (where most of the quotations appear) and would much rather read full quotations in these notes than simply see references to hundreds of works that I probably won't have the time and resources to locate anyway. That way, readers can appreciate what they're supposed to from the cited sources rather than just take for granted that they fit in, or have to research them on their own. The book makes valuable points with good regularity and fits them together into what would then be recognized in the field as World Systems Theory. Once I have finished it entirely, I may want to shift my rating. For now, the theoretical significance of this book (whose qualities are verified by my readings so far) definitely makes it essential reading for grad students or professionals in macrosociology. Introductory readers should probably start with introductory chapters (in theory and global inequalities) from a basic Sociology textbook and then read Wallerstein's more concise statement "Historical Capitalism" before proceeding on to this detailed series of books.
4 of 4 people found the following review helpful.
Difficult to read but worth it
By Amazon Customer
Wallerstein's work has had an enormous influence on the social sciences and historical scholarship. This book is the first volume, and is still fresh, insightful and full of fascinating insights even after 40 years of additional research have added a lot to our understanding of the period he analyzes.
Although the book is primarily a meta-empirical work (re-interpreting the findings of secondary sources), its most significant innovation is theoretical: the concept of the world-system, and the resulting insight that differential development is a necessary feature in the rise of modern capitalism - not a bug. This theory has been greatly disputed, but is still a key reference point in macro-historical debates, and the author has added a very valuable new introduction in which he responds to critics.
The book is to be lauded for its valuable combination of great attention to detail in each of the many areas it analyses, with a broad view of historical change. However, the melding of these two levels is executed very poorly in terms of the book's overall organization, making it extremely difficult to read. Neither the division between the chapters nor their internal structure seems to make much sense, and the writer continually refers to issues he has previously discussed, that are very difficult to locate - even with the Kindle's search function!
This is particularly vexing in light of the fact that the overall argument and ideas are not at all confused or disorganized. This book sometimes feels like a coherent work which was shattered to pieces and re-assembled by an only partially competent editor.
As the five stars indicate, I still warmly recommend this book, which is well-worth the effort.
The Modern World-System I: Capitalist Agriculture and the Origins of the European World-Economy in the Sixteenth Century, by Immanuel Wall PDF
The Modern World-System I: Capitalist Agriculture and the Origins of the European World-Economy in the Sixteenth Century, by Immanuel Wall EPub
The Modern World-System I: Capitalist Agriculture and the Origins of the European World-Economy in the Sixteenth Century, by Immanuel Wall Doc
The Modern World-System I: Capitalist Agriculture and the Origins of the European World-Economy in the Sixteenth Century, by Immanuel Wall iBooks
The Modern World-System I: Capitalist Agriculture and the Origins of the European World-Economy in the Sixteenth Century, by Immanuel Wall rtf
The Modern World-System I: Capitalist Agriculture and the Origins of the European World-Economy in the Sixteenth Century, by Immanuel Wall Mobipocket
The Modern World-System I: Capitalist Agriculture and the Origins of the European World-Economy in the Sixteenth Century, by Immanuel Wall Kindle
Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar